The pension schemes of the DEPF offer a retirement pension, a partner’s pension and an orphan’s pension. But what happens to your pension if you become disabled for work? The rules for this are quite different for the Belgian section and the Dutch sections of the DEPF. In this article, we treat the subject pension and disability per country via some questions and answers.


Question: What will happen to my income if I, as an employee of DuPont, become disabled for work for a longer period?

Answer: If you, as a participant of the DEPF, become economically disabled for work for at least 25% due to illness or an accident, you will be entitled to a monthly disability pension after a qualification period of 180 days.
You will receive the pension as a supplement to the benefit that you receive from the health insurance fund. This benefit is approximately 60% of the salary until the Ziekte- en Invaliditeitsverzekering (ZIV, sickness and disability insurance) ceiling during the first year of the disability. In the following years, the benefit drops to 40-65% of the salary ceiling, depending on your family situation. You will receive the benefit from the health insurance fund from the second month of your disability for work. You will receive your full salary in the first month.

Question: How high is the disability pension of the DEPF?

Answer: That depends on your salary. On the website, under explanation of the pension scheme you will find an example of how the disability pension is calculated. You will receive this pension each month on top of the benefit from the health insurance fund. If you are partially disabled or have a part-time employment contract, the disability pension will be reduced proportionally.

Question: When does the disability pension end?

The disability pension ends when you become disabled for work again for less than 25%. The pension also stops when you retire, when the Corporate Supplement System (SWT) starts for you of when you pass away.


Question: What will happen to my income if I, as an employee of DuPont or Genencor, become disabled for work for a longer period?

Answer: If you become disabled for work, your employer will continue to pay your salary for the first two years. Afterwards, you qualify for a benefit in the framework of the WIA, which is the Law on Work and Income in Accordance with Capacity for Work.  There are two types of benefits: WGA or IVA. WGA refers to Resumption of work by those who are partially incapacitated for work. This is a benefit that you will receive if you can possibly resume work again in the future. IVA refers to Income provision for those who are fully incapacitated for work. This is a benefit that you receive when you are hardly able to work, and the chance of recovery is small. The level of these benefit is maximally 70% of your last-earned income until the WIA salary limit of € 55,927 per year (in 2019). If your salary is higher than this WIA salary limit, you will not receive a supplementary disability pension from the DEPF.

However, the employers DuPont and Genencor have contracted two insurances for their employees. The first is the WGA-gap insurance, which, depending on the degree of your disability, supplements your income to maximally 70% of the WIA salary limit. The second is the WIA excess insurance that supplements your disability benefit from the WIA salary limit to maximally 70% of your salary above that limit. Your employer pays the full premium for these insurances.

Your WIA benefit and the benefit from the insurances mentioned end when your reach the retirement age and your retirement pension starts. The benefit also stops if you pass away.

Question: Will my pension accrual continue if I am disabled for work?

Answer: Yes, if you become disabled for work for a long time while you are employed by DuPont or Genencor, you are entitled to continue your pension accrual without having to pay a contribution yourself for the part that you are disabled for work. As of a disability percentage of 35%, you are entitled to continuation of the pension accrual with partial exemption from payment of your own contribution. You are entitled to full exemption from payment of your own contribution if you are disabled for more than 80%. If your disability for work percentage changes, the contribution-exempt part of the accrual of your pension also changes. It is important that you inform the DEPF if there are changes in the degree of your disability for work.